The Howard and Joshua Herman Educational Center
Shalom! A warm welcome to the Howard and Joshua Herman Education Center, our Religious School at FLJC/CBI. Our dedicated professional faculty creatively engages our students in Jewish Life and Learning throughout the school year.
- Grades 2nd – 7th attend school Sunday 9:00am-12:15pm, and Tuesday afternoon 3:45-6:00pm.
- Our kindergarten and first graders participate in a Sunday only curriculum 9:00am – 12:15pm.
Highlights of our Experiential program include:
- Conversational Hebrew Enrichment for all grades.
- Israeli dancing in the lower grades.
- Hands on crafts. Each grade creates age appropriate Jewish objects that promote the observance of Shabbat and Holidays at home, such as a challah board, challah cover, glass Kiddush cup, havdalah candle, spice box, Tzedakah box etc.
- Participatory Learners’ minyan in grades 3-7. Students learn how to recite the Shacharit (morning) as well as Mincha and Maariv prayers.(Afternoon & evening) The sense of community is strong.
- Our 5th graders create “Mock” T’ifilin through a program of learning sponsored by our Men’s Progressive Club . Parents participate in this learning experience.
- A wedding Huppa is being created by our students for the 5th grade mock wedding.
- Our 6th and 7th graders have scheduled trips to complement their curriculum such as a trip to the Museum of Tolerance, Museum of Jewish Heritage, Ellis Island and the Tenement Museum.
- Guests are invited to class to speak of their experiences in different Jewish communities and
- Holocaust survivors share their personal stories.
- Weekly Jr. Congregation from 10:30 to noon Shabbat morning.
- Family Shabbat Dinner and Shabbat Havdalah programs.
- Smart Board – Our 7th graders actively use our smart board on a regular bases for Holocaust studies and Israel engagement. Grades 3-6 enhance their lessons periodically as well.
- WiFi Enabled – We are pleased to have WiFi accessible in our classrooms, allowing us to connect to the World Wide Webb, and utilize Jewish educational sites.
- Jets Israel On-line Course- In collaboration with the Jewish Community Center of Paramus, our 7th graders will be taking an on-line course from Israel to enhance our curriculum.
- PrayerTech – An exciting web based program for Hebrew reading and comprehension that is used to enhance our students’ education.
Our objective is to give your children the most innovative Jewish education possible. Our Family Education Programs target the entire household and we hope to see many of our families learning in conjunction with their children. Together, we can make a positive impression on the students and instill in them, constructive Jewish values and morals. We look forward to getting to know you and your children. I welcome the opportunity to discuss Religious School with your family.
Rabbi Keven Friedman, Principal